Tuesday, May 14, 2013

AIRs Project of Choice::Masculine Card

In the current issue of "The Stampers' Sampler" I had a card featured that featured stamped images from Artistic Outpost.  I love their stamps!  The wonderful thing about using their stamps on something that is published in a magazine is that if you notify them they will give you a $14 gift certificate to their store.  That is just enough to buy a full plate of stamps.  So of course I let them know as soon as I saw my card and within a couple of days I was the proud owner of a stamp set called "Paperboy".  Here is a photo of it so you can see how adorable it is!


I was DYING to give it a go so the card I made for the Imagine Crafts AIRs challenge will be one of my first Paperboy projects.  I usually do a couple of different cards at one time and I tried some different background techniques.  For this particular one I will provide a step by step tutorial to show how I did the card.  I wanted to show you another way to use the IMAGINE Crafts Creative Medium product in the clear color for a unique background.



Initially I cut a piece of patterned card stock to fit the blank card measuring 5" by 7".  I adhered the patterned paper to the card using IMAGINE CRAFTS  Clear Creative Medium.  When this had dried I covered the entire card with a very thin coating of gesso and then allowed this to dry.  I used a heat gun to hurry this process along.  When the gesso was dry I took one of my largest background stamps and applied some Imagine Crafts spring colored inks to that in different spots.



The colors I chose are IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko VersaMagic Chalk Pigment Ink in Mango Madness, Aquatic Splash and Pink Petunia.   I spritzed the ink pad with about 2-3 sprays of water and then pressed it down firmly on the gessoed paper.  The result is very subtle.
Now I started building the layers on top of this background, starting with some black twine and a phrase from my new collection.  I stamped the phrase with IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko StazOn Jet Black and heat embossed it with clear powder.




I wanted to frame out my image of the newspaper boy with one of Spellbinders gorgeous shapes so I die cut a lovely one from Beaded Ovals.





I didn't want it to look too elegant since there is a scruffy little boy featured so I cut it out in black card stock and then sewed a piece of burlap with some black zigzag stitching on top of that.  Then the boy image that I had stamped in IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko StazOn Solvent Ink full size ink pad in Jet Black was trimmed out.  He looked a little pale so I colored in his face with Copic inks.  I used a strong adhesive to glue the boy's image to the burlap, finally the entire framed panel was adhered to the card and a little button was attached to the black twine.  I distressed the edges of the card with IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko Memento Dye ink in the Espresso Truffle color.  The card turned out very masculine.  It would be suitable for any man in your life!



Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting my blog today.  I hope you'll give some of these techniques a try.  If you have time please leave a comment, I love to hear from you!  Have a great weekend, I'll talk to you soon.  Here is a list of the products and tools that were used to create this card.

Products
IMAGINE Crafts Creative Medium Clear color
IMAGINE Crafts Embossing Powder Clear
IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko Memento Dye Ink full-size ink pad in Espresso Truffle
IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko StazOn Solvent Ink full-size ink pad in Jet Black
IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko VersaMagic Chalk Pigment Ink Dewdrop size ink pads in:
Mango Madness, Pink Petunia, Aquatic Splash
one 5" by 7" blank white card
one piece of patterned paper cut to measure 5" by 7"
black waxed twine
button
burlap fabric circle
adhesive

Tools
Paperboy stamp set by Artistic Outpost
Large stamp, Geometric Swirl by Rubber Stampede
Water spray bottle
Spellbinders Nestabilities "Beaded Ovals" die template
sewing machine with black thread
scissors
heat gun

7 comments:

  1. A great card Renee! That stamp set looks so fun. I love that little bit of string and a button on the side. It just finishes the card perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! Love that background and what a useful die.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the card, will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!!! I love your card...the stitchy frame around the boy really makes him pop! Love your background...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Renee! How wonderful what a great company~
    I love your card, all the details align its magic :D

    Thanks for sharing the process!
    Off to browse their stamps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Renee! Congratulations on getting published AGAIN! Why not post on NEPC's fb wall when your work gets published - we'd love to hear about it!
    Happy Day, Laurel, New England Paper Crafts
    www.NewEnglandPaperCrafts.com
    www.facebook.com/NEPaperCrafts

    ReplyDelete